About Des Moines University
ONE UNIVERSITY OVER 120 YEARS STRONG
We share a singular mission to develop distinctive health professionals committed to health promotion, the discovery of knowledge and service to the community.
Founded in 1898, Des Moines University is a premier medical and health sciences institution comprising three colleges offering eight graduate degrees. The programs share a collective strength—a collaborative campus community where students and faculty come together in the pursuit of knowledge and innovation.
Des Moines University creates opportunity by building on its long legacy of providing an outstanding education to the nation’s health care professionals and excellent patient care in the DMU Clinic.
Our strong reputation in medicine and health sciences fields is built on the commitment of our faculty who are passionate about training tomorrow's leaders with unmatched dedication and uncompromised intention. Our graduates enter the profession with confidence, compassion and the determination to improve the lives of others on a daily basis.
To improve lives in our global community by educating diverse groups of highly competent and compassionate health professionals.
Des Moines University will:
- Emerge as a national leader in healthcare education with vision and focus on training the health care leaders and workforce of the future
- Be a cultivator of distinctive faculty and student researchers who discover and disseminate new knowledge
- Provide high-quality patient care and educational experiences dedicated to improving health and wellness
- Be a leader in community service and will convene key stakeholders, coalitions and partners on policy issues to support the well-being of our community
- Accountability: Taking responsibility for our actions and outcomes.
- Collaboration: Establishing cooperative relationships and innovative practices to enhance health education and care.
- Honesty: Demonstrating the highest standard of truthful and ethical behavior.
- Inclusiveness: Embracing a culture of diversity that accepts and respects the unique characteristics of each individual.
- Wellness: Committing to the well-being of the mind, body and spirit.
The history of Des Moines University reflects a continuing commitment to teach, to learn and to serve. Founded in 1898 by Dr. Summerfield Saunders Still and his wife, Dr. Ella Still.
The DMU Board of Trustees, the legal governing authority, which includes physicians, health professionals, and lay members, has the responsibility for the overall control and policy-making of the University. The Board sets policy for the University in areas of finances, business administration, faculty and academic programs. The Board performs other duties as necessary in the oversight of the University and the formulation of its policies.
The University has been a member of the Association of Governing Boards of Colleges and Universities since January 1971.